joi, 7 august 2014

Would you make 300 sandwiches to marry a man?

I don't know if you've heard of Stephanie Smith, the woman who made 300 sandwiches to get her boyfriend to propose. It all began like this:
 "My boyfriend Eric is obsessed with two things: Star Wars and sandwiches. During a Sunday lunchtime viewing of "Return of the Jedi" he told me: "you are 300 sandwiches away from an engagement ring!" ... And so, I got cooking ..."

The story got public when she started a blog entitled simply Three hundred Sandwiches where she kept track of every sandwich she made for him, counting down from 300 to the Last Sandwich Day, when all her dreams would come true. Naturally, their love started many controversies. Feminists went wild, of course, because of a statement that Stephanie made:
"Each morning, he would ask, 
-Honey, how long you have been awake?
-About 15 minutes, I’d reply.
-You’ve been up for 15 minutes and you haven’t made me a sandwich?"
You can imagine how the public responded to that, us women finding ourselves in a time when emancipation from the "woman in kitchen" stereotype is a very important part of the 21 century. Nevertheless Stephanie went on with her quest "One ring to rule them all"- the sandwiches I mean (Pitty Eric wasn't obsessed with Lord of The Rings, it would have made much more sense).
I will not discuss the implications of their little arrangement because it actually didn't bother me. I am not good at cooking, I have many failed attempts and if she likes it, that's what she should do. What I will discuss is why did this bother so many women. Well the obvious answer would be that we are so used to being victims of society but it went much further than that and I think it was designed to.
 
I am not one to judge relationships, especially when there was a clear joke at the beginning, not a very good one even "Woman, go mke me a sandwich", but what exactly has to go wrong in your head to take it seriously? Nothing of course, and if you haven't guessed yet, Stephanie is a reporter, and she came up with the perfect plan. It actually has everything: love, misoginism (a woman trying to impress a man with the single arrow she has left in her quiver, cooking), the man is totally disinterested and she seems desperate, and an awesome blog/website that depicts her culinary art. The girl knew what she was doing, having desperately in love women and Martha Steward fans to support her endevour and feminists giving her the publicity she needed, the story was gold. I actually appreciate the idea and am sorry it didn't come to me first.

Also my post's name is "Would you make 300 sandwiches to marry a man?". I want to give you all a response to that. Stephanie said:
"Maybe I need to show him I could cook to prove that I am wife material. If he wanted 300 sandwiches, I would give him 300 sandwiches-and I'd blog about it."

"Wife material" din actually bother me and not because it's the woman who has to prove something, "Husband material" would have bothered me aswell. I do not think of marriage as something I have to prove worthy for. Marriage is a promise two people make to eachother because they would like eachother's company for the rest of their life, you don't have to make yourself in a certain way to become wife of husband material and of course I would not make 300 sandwiches to prove that. It was not their joke that I didn't like and the feminist in me didn't scream out because of her giving in to the stereotype. I just didn't like how the press approached it, but then again you shouldn't believe all you hear.
Well leaving the publicity stunt aside, girls, there is no better way to a man's heart than his stomach. The girl got what she wanted. She was 300 sandwiches away from marriage and now she's there. Give her a clap for the commitment. Maybe I am just a hater and I don't understand love. I am not a feminist, it is true that men are better at some things and women at others because that is how our society developed.

The sandwiches actualy do look awesome and Stephanie deserves credit for that. Here's a little sample 

                         Pulled Pork Gyros with Red Cabbage, Roasted Tomatoes and Cilantro


Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu